Upgrade to 4 with UAA authenticated teams

At one of my customers we run a BOSH deployed concourse 3.14.1 and use CF UAA authentication for all the teams except main. The teams are created by a service broker btw.

Now because all teams use the same auth provider but a slightly different config (CF space GUID is different) I cannot migrate to concourse 4.0 according to the release notes. Of course I tried it on a test concourse instance and the upgrade did indeed fail.

In an attempt to make the migration work I manually updated the teams table in the DB. I just removed the content from all the auth fields except for the main team. Then I ran “atc migrate” manually and that ran succesful.

But if I try to start the ATC now it throws this error: json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []string
So obviously something is broken. Unfortunately the error doesn’t tell me exactly what is broken where.

This is a test instance so it’s no problem. But I do plan to upgrade our production instance. So what would be the right procedure to upgrade concourse from version 3.14.1 to 4.0 when using UAA auth for all the team?

Nobody any suggestions? Or is a github issue a better place for this problem?

Also: is there any automated upgrade procedure planned for future releases? I’m sure I’m not the only one with multiple team authenticating against UAA.