PSA: the Great Code Restructing of 2018

Hi y’all!

As anyone trying to contribute will have probably noticed by now, we have a bunch of repos, and most of them are inter-dependent. This makes it difficult to contribute PRs, because you’ll often have to PR to fly, go-concourse, and atc and cross-reference them. But then each of their builds will fail because they won’t have their dependent changes (e.g. fly will fail until go-concourse is merged and bumped, but go-concourse's build will fail until atc is merged and bumped, which we don’t want to do because the other builds are failing!).

Another, more human problem: our repo names are just plain ol’ confusing. The toplevel concourse/concourse repo is actually our BOSH release, because it happened to be a good fit to also act as our $GOPATH. But then we have all the actually important code living in a repo called atc (wat?). The fly repo name makes sense 'cause that’s the name of the CLI, but then there are components like tsa and skymarshal and nothing makes sense anymore. (Also our metaphors are all over the place.)

Finally, Go 1.11 is coming out soon (RC1 is out now) and its new support for “Go modules” is looking like the best thing since sliced bread. We’ve been looking for a way out from our submodule hell for a long time, and it looks like our savior is here. But in relying so heavily on Git submodules we’ve papered over lots of coupling that has existed between these repos, because it’s been so easy to pin to the specific refs that work together. Go’s module system will only make this more painful, because our API contracts between the repos just aren’t strong enough. And it won’t help at all for people contributing PRs.

So, here’s the plan:

• Rename concourse to concourse-bosh-release. This will make it clearer that the BOSH release is just one distribution method, not the centerpiece of all of Concourse.
  • Introduce a new concourse repo which will contain the sum of atc, fly, go-concourse, tsa, and any other components that are strongly inter-dependent.
    • In doing this, we’ll try to carefully name things and demarcate portions that should be separate. We don’t want this to encourage tight coupling, only to express the current state of things.
    • This would be a good time to come up with clearer names for things. These names are cute but not exactly clear for someone wanting to come in and find where they need to change code for the feature they want to implement.
  • Somehow keep all the GitHub issues on concourse/concourse. This might mean we actually gut the repos instead of renaming them. But I don’t want to lose the commit history, so this may be difficult.

Once all this is done it should be much easier to submit larger changes as PRs, and contributing to Concourse should feel a lot more intuitive.

We’re still early in the planning stages for this, but I thought I’d give the community a heads-up so y’all know what we’re doing. I don’t expect this to take that long, but it is inherently a “stop the world” process. This may mean some PRs have to be re-submitted if they’re made just prior to us moving everything around. I’ll try to whittle down the number of PRs before we make any big moves.

Thanks!

Hello Vito,

Good idea indeed!

Just a minor comment. I think that renaming the components (fly, atc, baggageclaim, tsa, …) is not really needed. Yes, it was confusing for me at the beginning, but after a while everything starts to make sense. Another reason why I think it is better to keep the names is because all past Google searches and github tickets will use the old names, just adding confusion. What I suggest is simply, in the README, something like: Concourse components have names with an aviation theme, and then make the list with their explanation. I even think I saw that list somewhere.

Hi Marco,

Cheers for the feedback!

Renaming these components will be disruptive, but I really think it’s necessary in the long run.

Of the GitHub issues I see, rarely do they refer to these components by name - most are high-level feature requests. There are definitely bug reports that mention component names (often in log snippets), but from what I’ve seen people usually have no idea what these names are (e.g. TSA), which makes it more difficult for users to do any troubleshooting prior to asking for help, and it doesn’t really help any other users that find the issue either.

The people that are here and have stuck around for a while have learned what these names mean, but I don’t think keeping them will help the project in the long run. We have a few repeat contributors now, but we really need to enable that number to grow. We do have a lot of reference material to update, but I see this as a short-term pain that will improve the project’s sustainability.