Open /dev/null: permission denied

Hello,

I try to follow the tutorial on https://concoursetutorial.com/.

OS: Linux dvaiaas00b00000 4.15.0-45-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 29 16:28:13 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Docker: version 19.03.5, build 633a0ea838
Docker-compose: version 1.24.1, build 4667896
docker-compose.yml:
version: ‘3’

services:
concourse-db:
image: postgres
environment:
POSTGRES_DB: concourse
POSTGRES_PASSWORD: concourse_pass
POSTGRES_USER: concourse_user
PGDATA: /database

concourse:
image: concourse/concourse
command: quickstart
privileged: true
depends_on: [concourse-db]
ports: [“8080:8080”]
environment:
CONCOURSE_POSTGRES_HOST: concourse-db
CONCOURSE_POSTGRES_USER: concourse_user
CONCOURSE_POSTGRES_PASSWORD: concourse_pass
CONCOURSE_POSTGRES_DATABASE: concourse
CONCOURSE_EXTERNAL_URL: xxx
CONCOURSE_ADD_LOCAL_USER: test:test
CONCOURSE_MAIN_TEAM_LOCAL_USER: test
CONCOURSE_WORKER_BAGGAGECLAIM_DRIVER: naive

With command fly -t tutorial execute -c task_hello_world.yml, the result is always runc run: exit status 1: container_linux.go:346: starting container process caused “process_linux.go:449: container init caused “rootfs_linux.go:114: reopening /dev/null inside container caused \“Failed to open /dev/null - open /dev/null: permission denied\”””
errored

Any idea how to solve it?

OK, I’ve just found what is wrong:
I have changed CONCOURSE_WORKER_BAGGAGECLAIM_DRIVER: naive
by CONCOURSE_WORKER_BAGGAGECLAIM_DRIVER: overlay
Naive was tested when pipeline failed on another server with kernel 3.x (before I notice that kernel 4 was mandatory).
This can be closed

This error has returned (at least for me). I had pipelines running fine under Docker Compose. Now, with Docker Desktop Mac v 3.3.0, Concourse 7.0, with no changes to compose files, after Docker got an upgrade to 3.3.0 (sort of automatic now): all my git resources (git and semver) error out with this error:

... process_linux.go:459: container init caused: rootfs_linux.go:121: reopening /dev/null inside container caused: Failed to open /dev/null - open /dev/null: permission denied

Tried the tutorial noted above in the original report: same error.
Restarts, reboots, … no difference.

I will try moving to Concourse 7.1. Maybe have to revert Docker and check that. Will keep you posted.
In the meantime, any ideas or pointers? Thanks!

You can find my compose files on github (fork of concourse/concourse-docker). See the “server-tls” branch for the exact configuration I’m using … but again, nothing special and no changes made in months.

It sure looks like this was caused (let’s say “triggered”) by the Docker upgrade. I reverted to Docker Desktop for Mac 3.2.2 and the problem went away. An upgrade to concourse 7.1 from 7.0 did nothing. It is possible (but doubtful) that a bit of volume cleaning silently fixed the problem. The release notes for 3.3.0 mention several changes that could have triggered the error: containerd, runc, …

Indeed, a docker problem: now resolved with version 3.3.1 (see: github discussion)