Backend error: Exit status: 500, message: {"Type":"","Message":"runc exec: failed to read runc exit code EOF: ","Handle":"","ProcessID":"","Binary":""}

Getting the following error in multiple pipelines on multiple tasks. Anyone know what’s going on?

Backend error: Exit status: 500, message: {“Type”:"",“Message”:“runc exec: failed to read runc exit code EOF: “,“Handle”:””,“ProcessID”:"",“Binary”:""}

Additional info:

• All resources for the project are successfully pulled.
  • Intercepting the build fails with the same error.
  • This error happens on multiple jobs. It’s always the first task in the job that fails. The failing tasks are different types of tasks. One failed task was to send a message to slack. Another failed task was to run a .sh script.

@mattsmith, I’m getting the same error, same results. The job runs just fine, but both my get step and my put step have the same error:
Backend error: Exit status: 500, message: {“Type”:"",“Message”:“exit status 2”,“Handle”:"",“ProcessID”:"",“Binary”:""}
I’m running 5.6.0. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this, or if you have found any explanation since you posted.

The “exit status 2” message inside your stacktrace makes me wonder if our issues are slightly different. Unfortunately, we did not discover root cause. However, stopping the workers and starting up new ones “fixed” the problem for us.

Did you find an solution to this? We’re having the exact same error message as you…

Unfortunately, we did not find the root cause or a simple solution. Stopping the workers and starting up new ones got around the problem, so we stopped looking for a root cause :frowning:

This is a nasty bug and I am amazed that nobody is looking into fixing it. I am running v5.5.6 and the same thing is happening. Ubuntu 16.04 binary installation. The system is dead in a water.

I upgraded from 5.5.6 to 5.7.2 and the same issue happened:

Backend error: Exit status: 500, message: {“Type”:"",“Message”:“exit status 2”,“Handle”:"",“ProcessID”:"",“Binary”:""}

Nothing works, and its the latest build! Last time I used Concourse was with v3.9.2 two years ago and I don’t recall having any issues like this. What happened with 5.x?

hi all, can you all please have a look at the issue and suggest,